Attorney Human Resources Manager
DC location near metro
Take your career to the next level!
Hybrid work model of 3 days in the office in NYC and 2 days remote
Up to $150,000 DOE with incredible benefits
This stable, award-winning international law firm with offices in all major business centers worldwide seeks an experienced Attorney Human Resources Manager who loves working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness, and adaptability.
You will be replacing someone who was promoted and will report to the office HR Manager and dotted line to Student Recruitment Manager.
The ideal candidate would be someone out of a smaller or regional firm who wants Big Firm Law experience or someone out of a peer firm as a Specialist/Generalist/Coordinator who is ready for the next step into management.
The firm is looking for 4+ years’ legal HR experience in a law firm and has been involved with attorney recruiting, Summers, OCI, working with the hiring committee, attorney programs, attorney work schedules, transfers, and secondments.
As the DC Attorney HR Manager, you will be the first point of contact responsible for the overall coordination, management, and delivery of attorney HR services/projects to support the effective management, development, and engagement of attorneys in the DC office. In addition, the role includes the lead responsibility for employee relations issues for attorneys, the Summer Program, Student Recruiting, and the onboarding and integration of the Fall Associates.
- Lead DC Recruiting Committee meetings, determine agenda, and prepare materials
- Coordinate on-campus interview process, including working with DC Recruiting Committee to select law schools, screen resumes; correspond with candidates, arrange interviews, work with Committee to determine offers and rejections
- Maintain an open line of communication with the Student Recruiting Team
- Oversee WDC Summer Associate Program, including calendar of Summer Associate events, work allocation, mentors, and feedback
- Maintain relationships with career services at law schools
- In collaboration with the Litigation Practice – Appellate and Practice Leaders, manage the judicial clerk recruitment process
- Collaborate with the Hiring Partners, Diversity and Inclusion team, and Affinity groups to implement diversity recruiting initiatives
- Ensures accuracy of hiring data. Creates and maintains reports, metrics, and analyses for internal purposes. Review and analyze post-season metrics.
- Responsible for ensuring consistent application of firm-wide recruitment policies and procedures.
- Works with Practice Leaders, Hiring Partners, and Office Managing Partner on attorney student recruitment initiatives and diverse law student outreach initiatives
- Manages LawCruit database procedures for applicant tracking of student hires; candidate file maintenance; hiring statistics
- Planning and executing the onboarding and local orientation of the First Year Associates and contributing to the development of improvements
- Manage attorney HR transactions such as US client secondments, new hires, remote work, office transfers, alternative work schedules, separations, employment verifications, personnel records, etc.
- Handle new hire integration and exit interview discussions and identify themes to be shared with HR leaders
- Liaise with International Mobility Manager for client and office secondments outside the US and guide practice leaders and sponsoring partners
- Provide advice and guidance to attorneys and partners on firm policies and performance issues, working with Employment Counsel where appropriate.
- Manages attorney compliance with state bar admission (including DC bar waive in procedures and compliance)
- Keeps abreast of changes in employment law and current trends in HR best practice; puts forward recommendations to align with market and legislative changes
- Initiates and participates in attorney retention initiatives related to integration and mentoring programs, attorney dinners/functions/panels, etc.
- Responsible for audit and monitoring of PeopleSoft data on DC attorneys and related reporting
- Maintains professional skills and relationships with various professional associations such as NALP and WALRAA
- Performs other tasks and HR functions for lawyers or business services in the DC office as needed
- In coordination with US L & D team, manages arrangements for US in-house training programs delivered in DC, including invitation and rsvp process, venue, a/v, catering, communications, materials, evaluations, speakers, CLE, administration for sign-in, certificates, etc.
- Coordinates with US L & D team on the use of attorney training-related software: archived programs, CE Manager for individual lawyer CLE compliance, and access to WestLegalEd and PLI for online CLE programs
- Assist in identifying training needs and in the development of diversity initiatives
- Manage industry surveys for the DC office related to the Summer Program and Associates
- Coordinates annual Counsel and Associate Performance Evaluation programs with Practice Leaders and firm management
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered instead of a degree if the experience has been directly related to the functions of the job
- 4 years+ of experience in Attorney Recruitment, HR, or development in a law firm
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of software tools such as PeopleSoft, CE Manager, LawCruit a plus; experience with similar database tools for applicant tracking, continuing education tracking, HR information a plus; proficiency with MS Office Suite applications including Excel, Word, and Outlook required.
- Proficiency in virtual platforms
They offer an excellent salary of up to $150,000 based on education, skills, and years of experience. Comprehensive benefits, including medical/dental/vision/life/and AD&D insurance, 401(k) savings plan, back-up childcare and eldercare, generous vacation and personal/sick plan, discretionary bonus, and opportunities for professional development and growth.