Business Development and Marketing Manager Regulatory, Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Environmental Practice Groups
Location: Washington, DC
This role is on a hybrid work model of 2 days per week to work remotely.
Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm, Exempt
The salary range is up to $160,000 DOE and Skills.
One of the world’s premier law firms with business centers worldwide seeks a Business Development and Marketing Manager in the practice areas of Regulatory, Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Environmental.
The firm believes in a good work/life balance with direct access to resources needed for success and a centuries-old firm with stability, growth, and diverse practice groups.
As the Business Development and Marketing Manager, you are a key team member within the Marketing Department. The Manager is a dedicated liaison to the Regulatory, Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Environmental Practice Groups. You will work directly with the group leaders and other partners to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans and manage an aligned range of business development and marketing initiatives.
You will actively learn about the service offering, lawyers, and clients of the assigned groups and related practices. To foster cross-selling, they develop and lead initiatives to deepen knowledge about our clients, their business needs, and relevant firm capabilities.
You will be directly responsible for Business Development and Marketing Specialist and Coordinator level professionals. Additionally, they are expected to lead by example, mentor junior team members, and embody the highest service delivery standards. The role requires the development of strong and effective working relationships within the Marketing Department, as well as with other professional business functions and lawyers, across the firm’s global platform.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Practice and Client Development:
- Consults with practice/industry leaders and other partners to develop and execute marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers
- Attends and contributes to practice group meetings and planning sessions
- Identifies and recommends business development opportunities and trends using data analytics, competitive intelligence, industry trends, market analyses, and similar resources
- Evaluate the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts and make recommendations to practice/industry leaders
- Manage, develop, and refine the groups’ business development “infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral, experience database/matter lists, contact lists, opportunity tracking, etc.), exercising an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, matter lists, and other materials are consistent, error-free, and up to date; ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources
- Help group leaders prepare and manage the group’s BD budget; track and analyze practice/industry initiatives, evaluating the ROI of activities to recommend and plan future efforts
- Coordinate with the Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives
- Facilitate the planning, implementation, and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities
Proposals and Pitches:
- Serves as project manager and key contributor for RFPs, pitches, and other business development projects, both for primary groups and others, as needed
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and understand the opportunity
- Writes new business proposals and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/RFPs
- Serves as an advisor in preparing and rehearsing pitch teams
- Supports follow-up and debrief activities post-pitch and reports them back to Firm leaders
Marketing and Profile-raising Activities:
- Leads preparation of submissions for practice/industry rankings, awards, surveys, league tables, and other recognitions for assigned groups
- Works with Regional BD and Marketing team members to plan client programs and Sidley-sponsored events
- Works with the Communications and PR team to identify thought leadership topics and Sidley lawyers to engage in media commentary, article publication, podcasts, etc.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of Firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the Firm in relevant practice/industry platforms
- Participate in hiring, managing, and developing staff; oversee daily operations and monitor staff work product; manage the professional development of staff, including establishing goals, coaching, and training; prepare annual performance appraisals and provide timely feedback on performance
- Delegates work efficiently and effectively with other team members
- Collaborates with other leaders and business professionals within and outside the Marketing Department on projects that cross practices, regions, and functions
Education and Experience:
- 8+ years of progressive professional marketing, business development, or other relevant experience in a law firm
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in marketing, communication, business/finance, or related field
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Experience and knowledge of the business/legal landscape in assigned practice areas/industries
- Supervisory, managerial, and project management experience
- Advanced degree in a related area, such as marketing, law, business, or communications (M.B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus)
- Working knowledge of customer relationship, pipeline, and experience management databases such as InterAction, Salesforce, and Foundation
- Familiarity with relevant company/market research tools, as well as law firm rankings, awards, and league table publications
The firm offers excellent big-firm benefits that include Health/vision/dental insurance coverage starting on day 1.
Pension plans: the firm contributes 5% of eligible pay (including base and bonus) to employees’ pension plan accounts. Employees are fully vested after 3 years of service.
401k: You can sign up immediately, with no waiting period: Pre-tax and post-tax contribution options.
23 days of PTO, additional learning, and more!
Raise and bonus in July and a small holiday bonus