Business Development and Marketing Specialist – Energy Practice Group
Location: Washington, DC
This role is on a hybrid work model of 2 days per week to work remotely.
Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm, Non-Exempt
The salary range is up to $115,000 DOE and Skills.
One of the world’s premier law firms with business centers worldwide seeks a Business Development and Marketing Specialist in the Energy practice area.
The firm believes in a good work/life balance with direct access to resources needed for success and a centuries-old firm with stability, growth, and diverse practice groups.
AS The Business Development and Marketing Specialist, you are a key team member within the Marketing Department. You will liaise with the Energy practice group. You will work directly with BD and Marketing colleagues and partners in the groups (across various offices) to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans and manage an aligned range of business development pursuits, marketing campaigns, communications, client events and sponsorships, and key account activity.
You will actively learn about the assigned groups’ service offerings, lawyers, and clients, and related practices. They help develop and lead initiatives to enhance the groups’ knowledge about our clients, their business needs, and relevant Sidley capabilities to foster cross-selling.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Proposals and Pitches
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the assigned groups and others, as needed
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and understand the opportunity
- Writes new business proposals, conducts matter research, and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/RFPs
- Supports follow-up, debriefs activities post-pitch, and reports results
Practice and Client Development
- Supports practice/industry team leadership and other partners in development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers
- Attends and contributes to practice/industry group meetings and planning sessions
- Develops and refines the groups’ business development “infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral, experience database/matter lists, contact lists, opportunity tracking, etc.), exercising an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, matter lists, and other materials are consistent, error-free, and up to date; ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources
- Helps group leaders prepare and manage the group’s BD budget; tracks and analyzes practice/industry initiatives, evaluating the ROI of activities to recommend and plan future efforts
- Coordinates with the Market Intelligence team to conduct industry, client, and competitive research to support practice development initiatives
- Facilitates the planning, implementation, and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities
Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads the drafting and submission of rankings, awards, surveys, league tables, and other recognitions for assigned groups
- Works with Regional BD and Marketing team members to plan client programs and Sidley-sponsored events
- Works with the Communications and PR team to identify thought leadership topics and Sidley lawyers to engage in media commentary, article publication, podcasts, etc.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of Firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the Firm in relevant practice/industry platforms
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- 5+ years of professional marketing, business development, or other relevant experience
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Marketing, business development, or related experience in a law firm or other professional services organization
- Working knowledge of customer relationship, pipeline, and experience management databases such as InterAction, Salesforce, and Foundation
- Familiarity with relevant company/market research tools, as well as law firm rankings, awards, and league table publications
The firm offers excellent big-firm benefits that include Health/vision/dental insurance coverage starting on day 1.
Pension plans: the firm contributes 5% of eligible pay (including base and bonus) to employees’ pension plan accounts. Employees are fully vested after 3 years of service.
401k: You can sign up immediately, with no waiting period: Pre-tax and post-tax contribution options.
23 days of PTO, additional learning, and more!
Raise and bonus in July and a small holiday bonus.