Legal Secretary – Assistant in Banking and Financial Services
Washington, DC location near Metro.
One of the world’s premier law firms with business centers worldwide seeks an experienced legal secretary – legal assistant to support the head of the firm’s Banking and Financial Service practice group and additional partners and associates.
This team is looking for candidates with strong, traditional legal secretary backgrounds who have billing experience. This individual will have various responsibilities, including providing operational support, communications and calendar management, accounting and billing, travel arrangements, etc.
You are eligible for up to 1 day of remote work per week after the 90 probation and training period.
9-5 M-F with an opportunity for paid OT after 35 hours a week
The range is $75,000 – $100,000 DOE.
The firm is looking for an experienced operational professional who enjoys solving complex problems and is motivated by flawless execution. This role requires an independent self-starter who serves as an ambassador to partners and clients while demonstrating sound judgment and establishing a foundation of loyalty through behaviors that inspire trust.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide coordination and operational support to assigned lawyers in the Banking and Financial Services practice area team.
- Ensure lawyers’ time is aligned with their priorities through demonstrated understanding of the core business and by leveraging strategic prioritization strategies.
- Build relationships and trust with key stakeholders and partners.
- Increase bandwidth and productivity by anticipating needs and taking ownership of planning, executing, and delegating activities, creating an extra layer of accountability.
- Perform other duties as assigned as part of business operations.
- Maximize efficiency and communication by building out systems and processes for increased organization and unified workstreams.
- Communicate with and build/maintain relationships with key high-profile clients of the Banking and Financial Services practice area team, if applicable.
- Maintain Outlook inboxes, including reviewing incoming communications, prioritizing items in terms of deadline, and responding, if applicable.
- Handle and screen all incoming communications (phone, email, video teleconferences, etc.) and appropriately respond, file, and delegate within the team.
- Provide complex and dynamic scheduling and calendar support for the assigned lawyers.
- Advance preparation for all commitments and engagements, including comprehensive briefing materials and pre-reads, meeting agendas, presentations, itineraries, etc.
- Facilitate work with the Accounting Department to coordinate client bills, generate monthly internal utilization reports, provide monthly and quarterly estimate reporting data, analyze billing data, and respond to miscellaneous client inquiries/requests.
- Process new business forms, new client/matter reports, and conflicts of interest checks.
- Handle time entry, proformas, and bills for the assigned lawyers.
- Monitor Practice Area Team expenditures for budgeting purposes.
- Maintain a roster of billing arrangements for key clients.
- Maintain monthly financial reports.
- Coordinate U.S. & Foreign travel arrangements by securing end-to-end arrangements, including flights, hotels, transfers, itineraries, and any necessary visa documentation.
- Promptly handle unexpected travel changes proactively and efficiently.
- 5+ years of related work experience and training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in MS Office applications
- Legal Secretary background with billing experience
- Proactive, professional, solution-oriented
- Highly organized, strong communicator
- Able to take initiative, lead, and motivate.
- Prior experience supporting C-suite level executives.
- Available/flexible for OT opportunities
- A degree from an accredited college or university is preferred, but not required.
- Global law firm experience is preferred, but not required.
- The ability to type 50-60 WPM.
The firm offers excellent big-firm benefits that include Health/vision/dental insurance coverage starts day 1, pension plan: the firm contributes 5% of eligible pay (including base, bonus) to employees’ pension plan accounts. Employees are fully vested after 3 years of service. • 401k: Can sign up immediately, no waiting period. Pre-tax, post-tax contribution options. 23 days PTO and additional learning and more!