Professional Attorney Development Manager
Up to $150k
Incredible happy, collaborative team environment and a culture of empowerment!
This firm works on a Hybrid work model of 2 days in the office.
9:00 am to 6:00 pm M-F with occasional overtime, but the firm believes in a work/life balance
This incredible East Coast law firm seeks an experienced Professional Development Manager to support its two offices and work out of the Washington, DC office.
You will spearhead the firm’s efforts to maintain cutting-edge expertise and to support its attorneys at all levels in steadily broadening and deepening their skills to serve clients better and develop their careers. As the Professional Development Manager, you will be expected to be an ally and advocate for Associates. You will manage a workflow process for Associates to receive the necessary professional development and growth assignments while confirming that the firm’s needs are met. The firm is committed to diversity, and you will participate in the firm’s success in recruiting and supporting diverse attorney talent.
Essential Job Function
Attorney Competency/Development Framework:
- In collaboration with internal and external subject-area experts, implement and maintain the firm’s attorney competency and development framework that will shape the firm’s expectations of attorneys at the different stages of their careers
- Draft Independent Development Plan to work in conjunction with Associate Development Framework
Performance Evaluation/Review Process:
- coordinate non-partner attorney performance review and evaluation process, including collecting feedback, convening review meetings, and preparing performance summaries.
- Assist partners in developing and implementing a workload allocation tool to be used for attorney assignments
- Help efficiently and equitably distribute assignments to attorneys to support firm needs while helping attorneys obtain appropriate learning, specialization, and professional growth
- Oversee and assist with the Summer Associate recruiting process, including OCI, lateral recruiting, etc.
- Participate in Hiring Committee meetings as needed
- Draft job descriptions and compile requisite materials needed for potential candidates
- Identify campuses for candidate selection and coordinate efforts to identify candidates
- Coordinate OCI or remote/in-office interviews and see through candidate selection and hiring
- Assist in identifying skill gaps for firm attorney recruitment function; assist in evaluating skill levels and training needs of potential hires.
- Assist with developing and implementing an onboarding program for new attorneys and practice groups.
- Assist with designing and implementing mentoring activities; obtain feedback from mentors and mentees; assist mentors and mentees in identifying and adopting effective practices.
Supporting Firm Initiatives:
- Participate on DEI Committee to further the firm’s goals in identifying and promoting diverse candidates and providing integration, training, and other support as needed.
- Help establish and nurture a culture in which attorneys are encouraged to recognize skill gaps and pursue excellence
- Participate in reviewing/updating the attorney training agenda/curriculum in alignment with the Development Framework and the needs of specific practice areas.
- Manage the planning and implementation of substantive, technical, and skills-based training (such as project management, presentation skills, and business development). This includes:
- Identifying and recruiting internal and external resources to serve as faculty for professional development programs
- Managing external vendors
- Organizing logistics and timely communications to all constituencies
- Measuring training comprehension and impact; assuring quality control and feedback
- Developing standard training material templates such as participant workbooks and PowerPoint presentations to unify training material format
- Identifying and coordinating participation in learning opportunities outside of firm-generated training
- Filing and maintaining materials and training logs
Professional Development Intelligence:
- Keep abreast of trends and solutions to enhance quality and efficient content delivery, including innovative delivery tools, learning solutions and platforms (e.g., e-learning, self-study), and accessible resources.
- Manage Professional Development budget, maintain Professional Development records (including CLE compliance), and report on identified issues and trends.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Working proficiency in MS Office and analytical tools
- Familiarity with the substance of transactional real estate practice is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with viGlobal software for recruiting and performance evaluations is helpful.
- 3+ years of supervisory or management experience
- 3+ years of professional development experience in a law firm or law school clinic
- 3+ years of relevant legal practice.
- A DC-based candidate is preferred, with occasional travel required regardless of location.
The firm culture is upbeat and team-focused, collaborative, and helpful. The firm offers complete Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD and STD, 401k, benefits, 25 days PTO, pretax parking or transportation benefit, profit-sharing, and growth.