Senior Real Estate – Affordable Housing – Commercial RE – Corporate Paralegal
Up to $90,000 with a paid overtime and a yearend raise and bonus
9:00 am to 6:00 pm M-F with occasional overtime
You can work in the DC office, near the metro, and on a hybrid model of 2 days in the office and 3 days remote
1320 billable hour requirement
This Real Estate focused national law firm with over 40 lawyers seeks a Senior Commercial Real Estate Paralegal who will provide paralegal support to attorneys in all aspects of complex commercial affordable housing transactions, including drafting real estate documents, reviewing and summarizing title and survey documents, drafting formation, transaction, and closing documents, reviewing due diligence documents, coordinating with title companies, surveyors and zoning consultants, identifying endorsements and coverage necessary and prepare an abstract of title document, forming and maintaining business entities, ordering and reviewing lien and judgment searches, and preparing and managing real estate documents from beginning through closing and post-closing.
You will handle:
Document preparation and review:
- Draft documents and basic contracts required in connection with real estate transactions, including abstracts of title documents, corporate resolutions, secretary and officer certificates, and other ancillary transaction documents
- Review due diligence documents and share findings with supervising attorneys
- Draft recording orders, opinions, and various closing documents as needed
- Supervise maintenance of checklists/closing agenda
- Prepare documents for closing/signing, including managing, finalizing, and ensuring completeness of complex sets of exhibits
- Attend and/or manage document signings and maintain checklist through closing
- Prepare recording packages
- Supervise the preparation of compilation of closing documents, binders, indexes
Title and Survey:
- Coordinate receipt and revisions with title companies, surveyors, architects, and zoning consultants
- Review and summarize the title and survey documents
- Draft title objection letters
Handle third-party/government requirements:
- Prepare documents for recording in various jurisdictions
- Prepare and file entity formation documents in various jurisdictions, draft operating agreements/bylaws, and prepare EIN and related filings with IRS
- Prepare 1023 applications, nonprofit registrations, and compliance checks
- Order good standing/legal existence certificates and certified organizational documents, and work with multiple jurisdictions to resolve good standing and related issues
- Order UCC/judgment/lien searches and interpret results
- Order municipality certificates in various jurisdictions (municipal lien certificates, water/sewer certificates)
- Travel to government offices in the vicinity (e.g., Secretary of State, Registry, City Hall, IRS) as necessary
Maintain completeness and organization of the firm document management system by uploading documents circulated by external parties or posted to online websites and observing internal naming and filing policies and procedures.
Occasional travel within the U.S. may be requested from time to time.
Education and Experience:
- A college degree or equivalent experience is required
- An ABA certification in paralegal education is preferred
- Must have at least 5 years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal in a law firm.
- You must have high-level knowledge of real estate documents, including title policies and closing documents; corporate formation documentation; government agency recording processes and procedures.
- Experience with HUD multi-family / multi-unit dwellings (such as apartments), Section 8 Programs, FHA Loan Closings, and Tax Credit Programs is highly preferred but not required.
- A commitment to preserving and developing affordable housing and empowering communities.
The firm culture is upbeat and team-focused, collaborative, and helpful. The firm offers full benefits, ample PTO, paid overtime, and growth